How to Make A Bottlecap Charm

Saturday, April 14, 2012

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm


When I need to completely relax I always find myself at some craft shop?  Am I the only one who does this? LOL   

After our in-laws left I had to get out of house, so I headed over to hobby lobby.  While I was there I found this nifty little product called Magic Glos.  I just had to try it.  So I picked up some other goodies and headed home to try it out.  After some trial and errors I'm ready to share what I have learned with you along with making this short & easy tutorial.

Lets get started!

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm


First you will need:
Bottle of Lisa Pavelka Magic Glos 
Bottle Caps
Printable Collage Sheet, I'm using Antique Clock Faces Digital Collage Sheet
A Bight Sunny Day (You can also use a UV lamp)
Glue - I will be using super glue but any glue will work.
You will also want to have Tooth picks & a Lighter/Matches on hand to pop any bubbles that may form. 

Cut out your desired image to fit the bottlecapsSome bottlecaps are 1 inch circles, but the ones I am working with are just a tad bit smaller.

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

Once I have my image cut to fit, I placed a small amount of glue in the bottlecap and then placed the image down into the bottlecap.

TIP: If you should skip this step you will risk the gloss going under the image and that will result to bubbles rising surface.

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

Once the glue dries you are ready for the gloss!


How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

Since Magic-Glos is a self leveling gloss, it is best that you start in the middle, also make sure you are working on a flat & level surface.  You don't want a lop sided dome on your charm.

TIP: If you get any bubbles use matches or a lighter to pop them.  Just wave the flame over the bubble. If the bubbles are deep in the gloss us a toothpick to either pop them or to bring them to the surface so that you can pop them with the lighter. 


How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

See how pretty it domes?  I love it!

Once you have your charm the way you like it, set it out in the sun!

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

All you need is about 15 to 20 minutes of direct sunlight to cure Magic-Glos.

TIP: I find that I get better results on a non-windy day, it seems that if there is too much wind the gloss seems to bubble after you place it out in the sun.  

And there you have it, a pretty glass like topped charm.  Pretty simple & so much fun to do. 

I really like how this little charm turned out that I decided to add a few more things to make it a pendant. 

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

With a little, E-6000, A Key & a few other findings.  I wrapped the bottlecap & added the key & charms to create this.....

How to Make a Bottlecap Charm
How to Make a Bottlecap Charm

Thank you for reading & I hope that you have enjoyed the tutorial. 

Stay Crafty!





Marie Cramp said...

Very cool tutorial! Sounds like a very interesting product :)

Beetique said...

I'm going to try and make some today with the collages I bought from you. It will be fun!

BJewelryBox said...

Great tut! I use the same UV resin, but I find that if I don't seal the image first, the resin makes the colors bleed. Since this UV resin doesn't react well with mod podge, (found this out the hard way and ruined 6 bezel pendants), I seal my images with clear packing tape. I make sure the edges are sealed too. Anyway, it works great.
btw, I love your blog. :)